Well before the establishment of the department in 1944, geography courses on Physiography, Elements of Geography, Economic Geography, Conservation of Natural Resources, Land Problems, Geography of North America, and Geographic Basis of American History were offered since 1923 in departments of Geology, Economics, History, and Agriculture.
Central Kentucky's spectacular “natural” environment was deemed to offer unlimited potential for farming and development by eighteenth century explorers and surveyors. By the 1840s travelers visiting the region wrote glowing reports describing the beauty of the rural countryside farms and Lexington’s business and residential districts. It was called the "Athens of the West" and today is the principal city of the Bluegrass Region.
The geography department is located on the 8th floor of the Patterson Office Tower and in Miller Hall. Class is usually held in the Whitehall Classroom Building. Within a short walk are numerous computing labs, libraries, and lounges.