Applications and Admissions
Admission to the Geography Graduate Program at the University of Kentucky is internationally competitive. We only accept applications for matriculation in the Fall semester (rather than Spring or Summer). Applicants should submit their materials by January 15 to ensure a complete review. Applications are accepted after this date BUT later applications may miss key financial aid and admission decisions. The admissions process (detailed below) precedes and is separate from the financial aid decision-making process.
As of November 3, 2012 applicants to the Geography graduate program you must use the online application system available here. The University of Kentucky is now part of the Hobsons ApplyYourself Application Network, a system used by over 700 colleges and universities. All materials required for the application can be submitted via this system. The required materials includes the following:
- A statement of your goals and objectives in which you discuss your areas of scholarly interest, any research directions you may wish to pursue, and how your interests and goals fit with those of the University of Kentucky's Graduate Program in Geography. This document should be about two pages double-spaced. (Note: this is listed as Personal Statement in the application system)
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- All applicants will be considered for assistantships and fellowships. The application system contains an Assistantship Interest section that you are required to fill out. Uploading a blank document document (or one that simply says "I am interested in assistantships" is fine.
- You can submit a writing sample but this is NOT required. (Note: this is listed as Writing Sample in the application system) If you choose to submit a writing sample, it MUST NOT exceed 25 pages.
- Three letters of reference from persons who can evaluate your potential for success in our graduate program.
- One transcript from each University attended (you can upload an unofficial copy for the application process, official copies will be required once application decisions are made)
- GRE scores (click here for more information)
- Official TOEFL scores if your first language is not English (click here for more information)
- Application Fee ($65 for domestic applicants and $75 for international applicants)